[artix-general] [s6] not booting/rebooting laptop

Javier je-vv at e.email
Thu Oct 1 03:06:08 CEST 2020

On 9/30/20 6:41 PM, Dudemanguy via artix-general wrote:
> I really appreciate all the detective work.
>
>> Bottom line, I don't know what's needed, but it seems something
>> waking dhcpcd back, and it doesn't seem it's the wpa_supplicant daemon.  Perhaps the S6 supervisor, as it did not kill the
>> wpa_supplicant service itself, still believes it's up, and that's the
>> reason the dhcp daemon is restarted automatically.  I honestly have no > clue.
>
> Yeah this is the crux of the issue. Unfortunately, I have no idea how
> this could be happening. The s6-rc command should shuts down everything.
> My laptop has a similar setup with dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant and I've
> never seen anything like this.
>
> A really dumb workaround for you is to possibly just edit your
> /etc/s6/current/scripts/rc.shutdown and add something like
> "s6-rc -d change wpa_supplicant" before the exec command.

I thought of that, however that doesn't prevent the issue of killing a group of services which depend upon another, or killing the dhcpcd service, done by whether some other S6 script, or a pacman related activity.

For example, on the upgrade where eudev-s6 was removed, I imagine all eudev dependent services were attempted to be killed, and then I got the upgrade hanging on the dhcp service shutdown.

But that sort of cases seem pretty infrequent I must recognize.  So that workaround seems to be fine most of the time I'd guess, and I'll use it while there's no more light on the issue.  I'll also have to be careful when having to turn dhcpcd down manually.  As mentioned, I have a hunch of S6 not playing nice this time.

I don't have anything peculiar on the dhcp and wpa_supplicant configurations, and I don't touch the S6 services stuff, except by the wpa_supplicant service config, which requires specifying the wireless interface.  So I don't think that might affect.  But here the the dhcpcd and the wpa_supplicant configs go.

The dhcpcd one:

> % 'grep' '^[^#]' /etc/dhcpcd.conf
> hostname
> duid
> persistent
> vendorclassid
> option domain_name_servers, domain_name, domain_search
> option classless_static_routes
> option interface_mtu
> option host_name
> option ntp_servers
> option rapid_commit
> require dhcp_server_identifier
> slaac private
> noipv4ll
> timeout 50

The wpa_supplicant one (omitting the wifi networks I'm connecting to):

> % sudo 'grep' '^[^#]' /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> ctrl_interface=DIR=/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wifi
> update_config=1
> network={
> }
> network={
>         disabled=1
> }
> network={
>         disabled=1
> }
> network={
> }

If you happen to figure something out about the issue, and some things to test, please let me know.  I'll try them, :)

Thanks a lot !!

--
Javier