[artix-general] updates keep blowing away my desktop

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Nov 11 05:09:55 CET 2020

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 11:29:48PM -0300, Artix wrote:
> Considering you are the only one experiencing this problem, I can only assume it is either a hardware problem or a config problem that you caused. Check the status of your hard drive to make sure it isn't failing and make sure there is enough space to install/upgrade packages. Also make sure that check space is activated in your pacman config file.
>
> Nobody else in any other of our forums/telegram/irc or anywhere else has these issues, so it is something wrong with your system.

That might be true, but in all the times previously that this has
happened, it was eventually found to be a package problem.

The drive is alright.  It was tested on the HP workstations internal
system check, and a software test.

I moved the boot parititons to /boot
and deleted everything there to give it a clean install of the boot
partitions and the images.

basestrap linux is not creating an initramfs
I expect it to make an EFIand ARTIX  subdir under boot.  I don't see it
doing that

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot
--bootloader-id=grub

that command is not just hanging
mounts are
/dev/sda2 /mnt/
/dev/sda1 /mnt/boota  <== efi vfat partition