[artix-general] [s6] wayland and perhaps pipewire

Jacob Moody moody at posixcafe.org
Thu Jan 21 06:29:58 CET 2021

On 1/20/21 7:28 PM, Javier via artix-general wrote:
> So I wanted to start exploring wayland, but
> 1st I wanted to know if there would be
> any limitation with S6, on a day to day usage.

I currently use sway with s6 and have used pipewire
for both sharing my screen through firefox with webRTC
Since it seemed impossible to find good documentation
online I figured I would put how I got screen sharing
working in this email if this was a curiosity of yours.

1. Install pipewire from pacman
2. Install xdg-desktop-portal-wlr(https://github.com/emersion/xdg-desktop-portal-wlr)
3. Install the fedora fork of firefox for their wayland patches(fedora-firefox-wayland-bin on the aur)
4. Start pipewire in one terminal
5. 'XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=sway /usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal -r' in another terminal
6. 'XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=sway firefox' to start firefox

With that being said, I haven't run in to any issues with pipewire while running without systemd,
I think Dudemanguy's assumptions are right in that it only uses systemd for socket activation.

On 1/20/21 11:11 PM, Javier via artix-general wrote:
> I'm really not interested in using pipewire, unless really required for desktop sharing.
> I'm not sure if pipewire is the future for electron based apps like slack, or flutter based apps, or zoom, or several other apps.

>From what I understand. pipewire is the only way that screen
sharing will be done with wayland compositors of any kind.
I imagine that if electron starts getting wayland native builds
it likewise will be required for screen sharing there.

As a fun aside, I did try out replacing pulseaudio with pipewire
through pipewire's pulseaudio shim and that seemed to work alright,
just started pipewire from an exec line in sway.conf and
things seemed to just kinda work(pavucontrol and firefox at least).

Thanks,
Moody