[artix-general] [s6] wayland and perhaps pipewire

Javier je-vv at e.email
Thu Jan 21 06:11:15 CET 2021

On 1/20/21 10:27 PM, Dudemanguy via artix-general wrote:
> On 1/20/21 7:28 PM, Javier via artix-general wrote:
>> So I wanted to start exploring wayland, but 1st I wanted to know if there would be any limitation with S6, on a day to day usage.
>
> Wayland works just fine via elogind. In fact, Sway is my daily driver.
> Technically, it is possible to run sway without using logind (the
> key thing is that you need access to /dev/dri/card0 at some point),
> but it's not something you should do.

This is great news.  I will never get used to tiling WMs/compositors though, but I can start exploring with wayfire, willing to miss some DE functionality, until getting LXQt ready, and then move to kwin when also ready I'd guess (I doubt kwin stand alone would be as good as wayfire without DE)...

> As for pipewire, I'm not as sure
> since I don't use it. I *think* the only systemd related part of
> pipewire is that it can use systemd's socket activation feature. I'm
> pretty sure pipewire just operates over standard UNIX sockets, so
> there isn't any limitation with non-systemd inits.
>
> Maybe it might be necessary to write some pipewire init scripts at
> some point in the future. Not sure if it's supposed to operate like a
> userspace daemon or not.

I'm really not interested in using pipewire, unless really required for desktop sharing.  I'm not sure if pipewire is the future for electron based apps like slack, or flutter based apps, or zoom, or several other apps.  I know it's required for webrtc screen sharing, but as electron/flutter apps are like web based apps, it might be, :(  For now electron apps still require xwayland, which might get away with not using pipewire, but I have no clue.  I'll know when testing...  Maybe having a S6 script just in case would be a good idea any ways, :)

At least for boxes where I only would share screen through VNC, if ever doing so, I can start testing without concerns...  We'll see when trying if I can get away without DE.  I maintained plain fluxbox without DE for many years, but I ended up adding several DE functionality, borrowing from DEs, like desktop notifications, policy kit, xrandr GUI since I didn't like arandr for example, compton/compositor, udiskie, and a combination of xwd+imagemagick for screen shots, besides some other pretty related to Xorg stuff.  So I decided like a year and a half ago to use LXQt (from which I was already borrowing some stuff) any ways...  It might be without DE, screenshots get a bit more complex though.  At any rate, it sounds like there's nothing to prevent starting to test wayland little by little (no Nvidia GPUs, which is good I'd guess).

Thanks a lot Dudemanguy !

--
Javier