[artix-general] runit for background (boo!) processes?

Jason Cooper jason+artix at coldbeach.io
Tue Feb 16 17:29:11 CET 2021

 Hi Armin!

On 2/16/21 5:07 PM, Jason Cooper wrote:

> I’ve been using Artix / runit for a few months now with great success.
> Now I’m moving over some of my servers to Artix that run `cloudflared`.
> Sadly, this tool doesn’t have an option to disable backgrounding
> (daemonizing).
>
> What’s the idiomatic way to handle such processes with runit?  I’d like to
> do more than `/etc/rc.local`, and obviously less than full supervision
> runit.  How does everyone handle this situation?
>

> On Feb 16, 2021 at 11:17:54 AM, Armin <armin at systemausfall.org> wrote:

> You could see if it at least can write a PID file, or create a runit
> service that "loses control" over the cloudflared child process.

Yeah, that’s what I’m leaning towards.  A small tool that launches the
misbehaving process, and monitors `/proc/$pid` … I was just really hoping
not to have to write it :-)

In either way, that daemon should provide an option to not background. As
> for cloudflared, I was not even able to start it backgrounded (it just kept
> running in the forground in my case), but I agree there should be an option
> for this - you should probably file a bug.

Yes, I just did:

https://github.com/cloudflare/cloudflared/issues/315

Thanks!