[artix-general] [atix-general][s6] dhcpcd upgrade from yesterday (9.2.0-1 -> 9.3.1-1) breaks network connectivity

Javier je-vv at e.email
Fri Oct 30 06:35:08 CET 2020

On 10/29/20 7:41 PM, Kian Kasad via artix-general wrote:
> On 20/10/29 06:47PM, Javier via artix-general wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh and to be clear, the syslog daemon has to be running first for this
>>> to work. So parallel startup will probably not work since there is no
>>> guaranteed order. A bit annoying but with a couple of service manager
>>> commands you can get internet again.
>>
>> So should we update dhcpcd-s6 making it depend on syslog-ng?  And then after getting the fix on dhcpcd, remove that?  So to guarantee the order?
>
> I'd go with no. syslog-ng isn't the only syslog daemon, so it might
> require installing extra packages and switching daemons, which could be
> a bit of a hassle, especially since the goal is fixing dhcpcd.
>

>> Another workaround is to avoid upgrading dhcpcd until getting the fix.  I already have:
>>
>>> % 'grep' '^IgnorePkg' /etc/pacman.conf
>>> IgnorePkg   = dhcpcd
>
> I think this is a much better solution.
>

>> I suppose in both cases we're waiting for the fix, :)
>>
>> I'm wondering if it's a good idea to have the s6 logger and another one both working...  Perhaps preventing the dhcpcd upgrade is safest?
>>
>> --
>> Javier
>
> --
> Kian Kasad

Fine with me.  But I'm missing a way to know when I should stop preventing dhcpcd to upgrade.  Meaning when there's a dhcpcd version/release that works for s6 and/or runit...

Also, is there a bug/defect I can subscribe to, so I keep track of it?  Usually bugs/defects don't give a hint about releases with the fix, so that's sort of parallel to what I mentioned 1st...

Thanks !

--
Javier