[artix-general] GNU Shepherd init

Dudemanguy dudemanguy at artixlinux.org
Wed May 13 04:45:13 CEST 2020

> I also think having the shepherd init [1] (formerly DMD) support would be great.  And it can be combined with the pies supervisor [2].  That combination might be great, even though pies is mentioned to possibly act as an init system, because what's being "actively" developed as the GNU init system is shepherd.  pies as a supervisor resembles s6 and runit somehow, from [2]:

I don't know the details of how GNU shepherd works, but it's certainly
not technically impossible to add another init. Artix is very
init-agnostic so as long as said init doesn't do a lot of crazy things
(like systemd), it should be possible to add it. Of course, someone
would need to step up and actually implement and actively support it
(sidenote: we really could use a dedicated openrc maintainer). It's not
terribly hard, but it does take quite some time to iron things things out.