[artix-general] GNU Shepherd init

Javier je-vv at e.email
Wed May 13 02:59:55 CEST 2020

On 2/27/20 6:07 AM, Ruben Safir via artix-general wrote:
> Has anyone looked at using Shephard in artix?
>
> In theory the system's goal is to be init agnostic so it would seem
> natural that someone would try to include Shepherd into artix along with
> S6 and openrc
>
> Ruben

I also think having the shepherd init [1] (formerly DMD) support would be great.  And it can be combined with the pies supervisor [2].  That combination might be great, even though pies is mentioned to possibly act as an init system, because what's being "actively" developed as the GNU init system is shepherd.  pies as a supervisor resembles s6 and runit somehow, from [2]:

>  If any of the components terminates, the default action of Pies is to restart it.
>  However, it can also be programmed to perform a variety of another actions such as, e.g.
>  sending mail notifications to the system administrator, invoking another external program, etc.

I came to know about pies on this gnu-system-discuss thread [3].  Sounds like a very interesting combination.

Greeting !

--
Javier

[1]  https://www.gnu.org/software/shepherd