[artix-general] question after/post installing (fresh) artix s6 init

Javier je-vv at e.email
Tue Mar 24 07:22:18 CET 2020

Hello,

1st of all, it was really pleasant to install S6 Artix from the base ISO, it just worked out flawlessly for me.  The wiki [1] omitted some special considerations when having LVM on Luks encryption, but I guess if one encrypts, then one better look at the Arch wiki, :).  The wiki also missed some configuration for console, which is in a different wiki [2], but that other wiki doesn't hint the console config should also work for s6 artix, not just runit, but fortunately, it's the same config as for runit artix and arch, :)

Now some things I've found this far...

<1>  To which bundle should elogind be added?  I added it to default, but it might be it belongs to boot instead.  I just followed the s6 artix wiki [3] indicating most of the "services" enabled should be included in the default bundle, but perhaps elogind is one exception.  Which bundle should it be added to?  Or should it be added at all?  Perhaps it gets automatically triggered by things depending on it, that if not triggered by S6 itself, like eudev and some others?

<2>  When running grub-mkconfig, one gets some weird warnings:
         % sudo grub-mkconfig -o my_grub.cfg
           WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
           WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
           WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
           WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
           WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
     By searching for that warning, according to arch [4], if running grub-mkconfig under a chroot environment (particularly when installing), then that's a common and to be ignored warning, because /run is not available inside chroot.  However this happens not under a chroot environment, but on the already started arch box with s6 init, for which s6-linux-init mounts a tmpfs onto /run, according to the wiki.

     Is that common to other users?  Are the warnings fine to be ignored?  And if so, how so, this is no chroot env, just plain artix box with s6 init...  If not, then, what should I explore to prevent issues related with those warning?

<3>  The package "libblockdev" requires rebuild.  The current version on world includes python 3.7 stuff, when the world python is 3.8:
         % pacman -Ql libblockdev | 'grep' python
         libblockdev /usr/lib/python3.7/
         libblockdev /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/
         libblockdev /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gi/
         libblockdev /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gi/overrides/
         libblockdev /usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/gi/overrides/BlockDev.py
     How to place a bug requesting rebuild?

<4>  There's a clamav-s6 package providing the clamd "service" for clamav, but the freshclam "service" doesn't seem available (providing freshclam -d), and it's pretty useful to keep the DB up to date.  Perhaps I can write my own freshclamd "service" later.  How to place a bug or request for the missing "service"?

<5>  There's a cpupower-openrc package to provide the "oneshot" cpupower to set the CPU governos and such.  The cpupwer-s6 is missing.  I like the governos set to "on demand", but can live with current "powersave".  How to place a bug or request for the missing "oneshot"?

<6>  There's a lm_sensors-s6 package to provide the "oneshot" that modprobes the modules found by sensors-detect.  However the sensord "service" for monitoring is missing.  Not required at all, but the daemon is part of the lm_sensors package.  How to place a bug or request for the missing "service"?

<7>  The way to log stuff, is through s6 itself I understand.  So for looking into logs to see if there are issues, one has to look for the log file for a particular "service", right?  How about "oneshots"?  I also see tty1 is used as stderr for s6 in general, but as that can get easily polluted, which log can one look for, in order to see those errors, not depending on tty1?  BTW, when logging into tty1, startx is triggered, so those logs are lost, so the more reason to be able to look at those errors somewhere else...

<8>  For several of the boxes I'll port the current s6 artix one, my current networking solutions, which is dhcpcd configured just for the eth interface connected, that's more than enough.  However for the laptop, though one can use of a wpa_supplicant hook from dhcpcd, I don't think one can't request dhcpcd to not connect all interfaces at the same time, and just the 1st one on the list allowed, actually allowing only one connection at a time.  Is that right?  Has someone successfully made use of dhcpcd + wpa_supplicant in a way only one of them is up, and preferably the wired one?  I know about network managers, but I really don't like NM, and after looking at connman, I liked it even less (it embeds their own multiple and custom solutions, like dhcp, dns, etc, etc instead of using the different already available solutions).  There's netcfg, but it's been frozen for so long, that if I can get things to work with just dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant daemons, plus a couple of front ends, that's ok to me.  BTW, I've already tried failover bondign between wired and wireless interfaces with netctl on Arch [5], and that doesn't work well.  For some reason, even though both the wired and the wireless connections were available, the bonding sort of bounced between them, and it used to prefer the wireless one, although I set the wired one as primary...  So though that looked really promising to me, I dropped it given the poor results I experienced...

<9>  After booting, on tty1, the prompt whether doesn't show up, or gets lost mixed on the amount of log from s6.  It shows up only after hitting "enter", and then one doesn't really know when tty1 is ready to be used, and one can only guess...  Is there a way to keep the prompt on top of other messages, meaning, while there's no login, make the bottom of tty to be the prompt, and make it always visible?  Otherwise it's about hitting "enter" until it gets available, if one remember to do so (given the amount of log one tend to think it's not ready yet).  That behavior can mislead to believe one needs to wait more than really necessary.

On another thread, I already launched some questions about some other topics, so although they can be perceived as post install as well, I didn't want to pollute this one with those other ones...

Once again, big thanks to the devs, great work, flawless base installation, and working solution, which to be honest, although non systemd, totally feels like arch, so besides having to spend a bit of time to get familiar with the basic s6 commands, it's just like business as usual with arch.

Thanks !

--
Javier

[1]  https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Installation