[artix-general] migrating from arch and some related questions...

Javier je-vv at e.email
Mon Mar 23 09:10:36 CET 2020

On 3/22/20 11:45 AM, Christos Nouskas wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 16:05:57 -0600
> Javier via artix-general <artix-general at artixlinux.org> wrote:
>> Hello, something I forgot on my original post, was to ask about mirrors.
>> Is there a tool like "reflector" one can use to get the top 3 most up to
>
> I use powerpill which uses aria2 and easily manages to saturate my line.
> There's also pacman2aria2 which has got 'reflector' in its description.

I wasn't aware of of powerpill [1], but it sounds pretty good, though I've tried avoiding pacman wrappers for years, but I might change my mind, :)...  BTW, pacman2aria2 has been deprecated in favor of pm2pl [3], which is as well a powerpill backend.

Regarding reflector, I'm wondering if it's possible to make it work with artix mirrors...  For sure I'll keep using it for the arch ones.  It isn't just speed what makes it great, but also how up to date the mirrors are.  For example, as I already fresh installed artix with s6 in a box (missing 6 other boxes, which will be based on the 1st fresh install, no way I'll fresh install that bunch of packages again), the arch mirror list that came with it had the following 2 mirrors enabled:

> ## Worldwide
> Server = http://mirrors.evowise.com/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
> Server = http://mirror.rackspace.com/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch

Besides being pretty slow, they were outdated.  A particular package that's already in other mirros wasn't found in them, and when updating to some I found with reflector last week (not even this one):

> # reflector -c US -p https -l 6 -f 3 --sort rate --connection-timeout 30
> Server = https://arch.mirror.constant.com/$repo/os/$arch
> Server = https://mirrors.rit.edu/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
> Server = https://ord.mirror.rackspace.com/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch

I got almost all packages updated, and of course downloading way faster.  So finding really up to date mirrors is one of major features from reflector.  From the Reflector.py module, one can realize it depends on a published json status of the mirrors, by default the arch one "https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/json/", which can be better looked out through its web "https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status".  Does artix publish such a json?  No matter the smaller amount of mirrors [4], sure the order matters, and some mirrors can get issues and stop upgrading for some reason (that happens with the arch ones).  The web version can also help to debug if some mirrors are getting behind...  Reflector can change the json URL through "--url <URL>", and if artix offers one, then it just so happens it supports reflector, :).

All that said, powerpill sounds really good.  I'll explore it as soon as I can...

--
Javier

[1]  https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/powerpill
[2]  https://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/pacman2aria2