[artix-general] migrating from arch and some related questions...

Christos Nouskas nous at artixlinux.org
Thu Mar 19 16:46:43 CET 2020

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 02:54:23 -0600
Javier via artix-general <artix-general at artixlinux.org> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'd like to migrate from Arch to s6 init Artix.  However the migration wiki
> [0] talks about migrating from Arch/Manjaro to openrc init Artix.  Actually
> several packages to install, according to the wiki, are openrc-* ones or
> have the suffix *-openrc (eg. autofs-openrc).  Is openrc the only valid
> option to migrate, meaning, for s6 one better install a new system from
> start?

The "hard" part is to get rid of the systemd octopus. Once in openrc, it's
trivial to switch to s6 or runit by just replacing the openrc packages with s6
ones. It can even be scripted, but it's always better to maintain control of
the process:
# for p in $(pacman -Qq | grep \\\-openrc); do sudo pacman -Rdd $p; pacman -S
$(echo $p | sed s/openrc/s6/); done

There's also a script to fu^Wremove systemd and convert Arch to Artix
(openrc), take a backup and enjoy the perks of science:
http://tiny.cc/fucktheskullofsystemd

> It seems to me the OP still had the Arch repos, though at the very
> bottom...  Is that no longer recommended, meaning, no need since Artix is
> maintained pretty up to date with respect to Arch (perhaps some weeks
> behind at the most)?

All of [core] is covered by [system], hence the former MUST be disabled. Most
of [extra] is in [world], we keep [extra] for packages we haven't yet
imported or are clean of systemd. In [galaxy] go most systemd-infected
[community] packages. So, it's recommended to keep [extra] and [community],
but below Artix repos. AUR is also at your disposal as in every Arch
derivative.

> Are there wikies for how to handle several things that got absorbed by
> systemd and now getting their documentation might not be as easy as on
> prior Arch wikies?  Examples are handling the lid on laptops (I don't even
> remember what I used to configure it, but perhaps through acpid), handling
> monitor brightness, performance and power saving tweaks, how to sleep,
> hibernate and the new hybrid (1st sleep and then hibernate), which if I
> recall correctly I used to manage through acpid as well.

In Artix, elogind takes care of such tasks and it should work without any
further configuration. Most if not all exceptions are covered in our wiki;
for the rest, the Arch wiki applies.

> Is sndio fully supported when possible

Every {front,back}end under the sun works in Artix.

> I already asked before in another thread, it seems netcfg is still
> functional, but I guess if not totally functional (definitely
> unmaintained), one could use at least the basic functionality to bring
> interfaces (whether wired or wireless) up, and then let dhcpd and
> wpa_supplicant daemons do their job I'd guess...

You can use any network manager (NM, connman, wicd, dhcp*, static) you like.
OpenRC for example uses netifrc for static configs.

> A recent concern I have is cgroups.  Would there be a limitation when using
> s6 as the init system for docker or other containers?  In the office docker

I'm not a heavy cgroups user, but to date I haven't found a
VM/docker/container implementation that doesn't work in my setups. I use
OpenRC though.

--
https://systemd-free.artixlinux.org