[artix-general] migrating from arch and some related questions...

Javier je-vv at e.email
Thu Mar 19 09:54:23 CET 2020

Hi !

I'd like to migrate from Arch to s6 init Artix.  However the migration wiki [0] talks about migrating from Arch/Manjaro to openrc init Artix.  Actually several packages to install, according to the wiki, are openrc-* ones or have the suffix *-openrc (eg. autofs-openrc).  Is openrc the only valid option to migrate, meaning, for s6 one better install a new system from start?

Also, by looking at the migration wiki, one can get the following equivalences between Arch and Artix package repositories:

[testing]            ->  [gremlins]
[community-testing]  ->  [galaxy-gremlins]
[multilib-testing]   ->  [lib32-gremlins]

[core]               ->  [system]
[extra]              ->  [world]
[community]          ->  [galaxy]
[multilib]           ->  [lib32]

Also, the migration wiki [1] indicates to keep the old Arch repos, but below the Artix ones, except by [core] (not to be included at all), to then remove them after the migration?  Would it be wise to keep them after the migration, in case there are packages supported by Arch not yet reaching the Artix repos?  I remember a previous post on artix-general someone showing still having the Arch repos (except core, and multilib, but the OP wasn't using lib32 either, so not having multilib makes sense):

> $ sudo pacman -Syyu
> :: Synchronizing package databases...
>  system                222.9 KiB  3.25 MiB/s 00:00
> [######################] 100%
>  world                 938.7 KiB  10.5 MiB/s 00:00
> [######################] 100%
>  galaxy                834.0 KiB  11.6 MiB/s 00:00
> [######################] 100%
>  extra                1641.2 KiB  10.5 MiB/s 00:00
> [######################] 100%
>  community               4.8 MiB  10.6 MiB/s 00:00
> [######################] 100%
> :: Starting full system upgrade...
> resolving dependencies...
> looking for conflicting packages...
> :: python-pyqt5 and pyqt5-common are in conflict. Remove pyqt5-common?
> [y/N]

It seems to me the OP still had the Arch repos, though at the very bottom...  Is that no longer recommended, meaning, no need since Artix is maintained pretty up to date with respect to Arch (perhaps some weeks behind at the most)?

Are there wikies for how to handle several things that got absorbed by systemd and now getting their documentation might not be as easy as on prior Arch wikies?  Examples are handling the lid on laptops (I don't even remember what I used to configure it, but perhaps through acpid), handling monitor brightness, performance and power saving tweaks, how to sleep, hibernate and the new hybrid (1st sleep and then hibernate), which if I recall correctly I used to manage through acpid as well.

Is sndio fully supported when possible, or would there be some willing to tweak a few packages to do so?  There are packages that can support the audio backend (firefox, mpd, and mpv that I'm aware of, not sure about smplayer), but one way or another Arch doesn't seem to care about sndio at all, given how pulse is sort of the official audio backend...

I already asked before in another thread, it seems netcfg is still functional, but I guess if not totally functional (definitely unmaintained), one could use at least the basic functionality to bring interfaces (whether wired or wireless) up, and then let dhcpd and wpa_supplicant daemons do their job I'd guess...

A recent concern I have is cgroups.  Would there be a limitation when using s6 as the init system for docker or other containers?  In the office docker it's the only way to build and test, and I'm not sure if without an init system providing cgroups support, like systemd or openrc, there would be issues, but I'm a mere user, so of course I might be just over concerned.  Interestingly enough, openrc claims to follow the FDO recommendations [3][4], but those recommendations [3], are deemed outdated/obsolete since that documentation indicates cgroups are no longer considered a shared resource, and now FDO is recommending only systemd, with no component independent of it [5].  This by itself feels really bad about how things are changing over time, but makes me wonder if now in order to use containers, one really need systemd or at least openrc (which is playing catch I'd guess)...  Again, might be just over concerned, :)

BTW, I also read someone asking about gnu shepherd.  That would be something I'd be willing to try as well, though I know nothing about guile...

Thanks !

--
Javier

[0]  https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Migration