[artix-general] Does pulseaudio work?

Javier je-vv at e.email
Mon May 27 00:25:44 EEST 2019

Hi,

By reading the FAQ [1], it seems pulseaudio is discouraged, but I'm not sure if really discouraged or unsupported at all.  Does it actually work on Artix?

For many years I was refusing to use pulseaudio, but then when Firefox moved to pulseaudio, and apulse not being able to solve (at least by the time FF announced to only support the pulse backend), then I finally got into pulse.  I have to recognize that the multiple audio devices support through pulse makes life really easy, as opposed to alsa, which makes it really cumbersome to manage different audio devices (embedded audio + USB audio devices like headsets + ...).

Not that without pulse I can't live, just trying to understand what the FAQ means:

>  Q. What about pulseaudio?
>  A. Technically, pulseaudio is not part of systemd. Use alsa. Or oss4.

I've never explored oss4 to be honest.  From the oss times (prior to alsa), it was sort of madness, whether audio worked or not, particularly due to devices support.  Then alsa showed up, and made audio generally work...  Then pulse, which made things even easier.  I have no clue what oss4 brings compared to everything else.  But definitely I liked the way pulse made things easier in general.  I guess to me alsa is lacking something pulse provides, :).

Greetings !

--
Javier

[1]  https://artixlinux.org/faq.php