[artix-general] [universe] Adding universe repo

Javier je-vv at e.email
Sun Mar 7 21:42:48 CET 2021

Hello !

I'm wondering if it's safe to add the universe Artix repo to pacman.conf, and if it would as easy as adding:

> [universe]
> Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Currently I have firefox coming from Arch extra, but I'm exploring replacing it with librewolf, which right now is coming from AUR, but I noticed it's part of universe (universe doesn't come with current firefox, just ESR, but I'm looking to replace it any ways).  I'm also using thunderbird from Arch extra, but I see it available from universe as well, so it sounds good to use the Artix version rather than the Arch one, though the difference might be minimal...  I also see in universe tor-browser, which is not my main browser, but I still use it some times, and I grab it from AUR, but I'd prefer an Artix built one, the same as for librewolf, which I would prefer using one built with Artix libs.  Same thing for ungoogled chromium (I use chromium from extra) which I barely use, but there are some web pages on the company I work for which only work on chromium, so I can migrate to ungoogled chromium instead given it's Artix libs built and available...

BTW, the tor-browser in universe is several versions behind, universe one is 10.0.9, whereas current one is 10.0.13.  Perhaps this complements my initial question, is it safe to use universe?  I like the idea of packages built with Artix libs, rather than the upstream binary releases built usually with non Artix/Arch libs, and for AUR provided web browser I do prefer using binary versions because of their build time being huge.  But in my mind not being so out of date is part of being safe, but this of course is arguable...

Thanks !

--
Javier