[artix-general] [s6] random boot error -> setfont: ERROR kdfontop.c:232 put_font_kdfontop: ioctl(KDFONTOP): Input/output error

Javier je-vv at e.email
Sun Feb 14 23:17:26 CET 2021


On 2/14/21 3:26 PM, Kian Kasad wrote:
> On 21/02/14 03:09PM, Javier wrote:
>> ...
>> However, I've already tried removing "consolefont" from the mkinitcpio
>> hooks list and rebuilding the initrd to then reboot, and that doesn't
>> help a bit.  Knowing that, and considering the error shows up after
>> the 1st prompt (useless one, since it gets replaced later) shows up,
>> makes me almost sure this is not about initrd early user space bring
>> up.  Perhaps the way S6 starts tty.
>>
>> It's important to note, this started showing up just after recent
>> upgrade with several S6 packages upgrading, including:  s6-scripts,
>> s6-rc, cryptsetup-s6, kexec-tools and lvm2-s6, and I haven't noticed
>> it before.  I also noticed s6-scripts includes several tty and console
>> related stuff, though nothing specifically called "consolefont", but
>> that might be called underneath.
>> ...
> 
> I've never come across this specific error, but I have had issues with
> "kdfontop" errors in the past. The solution for me was to include the
> /usr/bin/setfont program in the BINARIES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.
> By default, mkinitcpio uses busybox's setfont, not the one from the kbd
> package. Explicitly setting this in mkinitcpio uses kbd's setfont
> instead of busybox.
> 
> I have no idea if this will fix the problem or not, but it's worth a
> shot.

Hi Kian !  I tried, but unfortunately it didn't work, :(  I almost believe that was it, since I didn't notice the error after several trials, after rebuilding the initrd with that binary in, however the error is random.  So eventually I hit it again, :(

When I removed "consolefont" from the mkinitcpio hooks, rebuilt the initrd and rebooting several times, I got the 1st hint this was not an initrd issue.  The 2nd hint was that the error message doesn't show up before the 1st tty1 prompt does it, but instead later.  So S6 already started tty1 when the error shows up.  The 3rd hint was, this wasn't happening before, only after the S6 packages upgrade mentioned.    And this other trial, adding "/usr/bin/setfont" to the mkinitcpio binaries list not helping, seems like a 4th hint...

I also think it was worth trying...  Unfortunately I believe it's something else...

Thanks any ways!

-- 
Javier

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: OpenPGP_signature
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 228 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <https://lists.artixlinux.org/archives/artix-general/attachments/20210214/c26546bd/attachment.sig>


More information about the artix-general mailing list