[artix-general] [s6] not booting/rebooting laptop

Javier je-vv at e.email
Thu Sep 24 19:33:31 CEST 2020

On 9/23/20 7:42 PM, Dudemanguy via artix-general wrote:> Definitely, you can add a -v2 argument (or maybe increase the verbosity

On 9/24/20 10:54 AM, Dudemanguy via artix-general wrote:
> On 9/24/20 11:37 AM, Javier via artix-general wrote:
>> Commenting that line out, makes poweroff and reboot work flawlessly.  However it also means no services/oneshots at boot.  Pretty much the same as when the scripts were missing in a sub-dir.  I'm missing adding verbosity still...
> Cool, that means s6-linux-init was a red herring all along. What's
> actually happening is that one of the services can't be brought down
> and is blocking your entire shutdown somehow. You can uncomment those
> lines again. If you did those verbosity edits earlier, maybe you can
> see which service is hanging for you.

Well, not quite.  I actually used -v4...  Just by looking at the screen output, every "service/oneshot processing" message showing up, has its corresponding "service stopped successfully" message also showing up.  So I can't easily identify if a service/oneshot is causing trouble.  Are those log messages stored somewhere, surviving several boots in between?  Perhaps some greps might help.  You can look at the last messages fitting in the screen here:

https://gist.github.com/je-vv/0ed889564b6b3fcc35b7d4c14c7b1ea8

BTW, I noticed something weird.  When enabling verbosity with -v2, I could poweroff/reboot successfully like 4 rounds on a row, but beyond that point it was the same thing.  Then I changed to -v4 (just thinking about some race condition), and I experienced the same, like 4 poweroff/reboots sucessfull in a row, but then all the same.  I don't know if there might actually be some raise condition around the services, but I can't explain why all of sudden I only get hanging powerdowns...  I have the same services working fine on other boxes, but with slower and older processors, so that made me suspect of a possible raise condition...

--
Javier