[artix-general] [s6] not mounting root directory with options in fstab entry

Javier je-vv at e.email
Wed May 20 02:59:31 CEST 2020

On 5/19/20 6:26 AM, Dudemanguy via artix-general wrote:
> On 5/15/20 10:56 PM, Javier via artix-general wrote:
>> So arch is actually paying attention to /etc/fstab root directory mount entry, whereas artix is not...  I was expecting the arch behavior...
>
> Thanks for reporting this. Unfortunately, I have no idea why this is happening. As you can imagine, the mount command is just "mount -a" which is supposed to read your fstab entries and mount accordingly. As for me, it seems like the <fsck> option is also completely ignored (everything is 0). Very puzzling.

I guessed the "mount -a" by looking at the "mount-filesystems" one-shot:

> #!/usr/bin/execlineb -P
> fdmove -c 2 1
> foreground { mount -a -O no_netdev }
> foreground { if { test -x /usr/bin/zfs } zfs mount -a }

That only takes care of non already mounted targets on /etc/fstab I believe.  Well, also as I interpret this sentence in the mount man:  "The exception is --all, in this case already mounted filesystems are ignored (see --all below for more details).".  Not sure if whatever mounts "/" soon after booting, is what needs investigation, I'd guess that'd be the init system.  Not sure either if the "mount -a" command used is missing some "remount" argument, so that root gets re-mounted properly, but my 1st suspect would be init instead (I see no real need for a re-mount)...

Now, I have no clue what's is missing in order to make use of the "pass" field on /etc/fstab, after boot at least.  The mount man actually doesn't make any reference to those fields in the fstab.  I'm not sure if some other tools besides mount itself are required, to parse the "pass", and maybe the "dump" fields in fstab, and read the amount of boots somewhere, and run fsck if it's the right time, and then reset that counter if actually running fsck, and all that before calling "mount -a".  The same should apply to the init process when mounting "/" (root) if that's the case.  It might be those 2 fields don't get registered on mtab now a days though, but 3rd party tools are the ones caring about those fields...  Who knows, when most major distros adopted systemd, many things changed along the way...  I'd like to use the "pass" field though, and be able to configure the # of boots before running fsck, just to test it actually happens (setting it to 1), and that for all mount points without the "noauto" option (meaning, everything that mounts soon after boot, not just "/").

To brief all that, I believe what's done on "mount-filesystems" is not enough, but I'm clueless on what to look for, and I don't know either if it's hopeless...

Thanks !

--
Javier