[artix-general] [artix][s6] lvmetad failing to start not able to create socket

Dudemanguy dudemanguy at artixlinux.org
Mon Mar 30 19:35:37 CEST 2020

>Is there a missing dependency which should create that directory prior to starting lvmetad?

Creating a directory in the script is perfectly fine. It's common and
some other services do this as well. /run is a tmpfs anyway, so programs
can store any runtime information they want there.

 >By default /etc/lvm/lvm.conf comes with "use_lvmpolld = 1", meaning
it's expecting to have lvmpoll daemon running.  On arch, the service
executes "lvmpolld -t 60 -f".  Artix doesn't include that daeomon as
part of the S6 available ones on /etc/s6/sv:

It's included now. I just did a somewhat large rewrite of the lvm2-s6
package. You can enable the gremlins repo in your /etc/pacman.conf and
test it out (once your mirror updates of course). The systemd services
on Arch do many, many things. I did my best to replicate them and
integrate s6-log into every one of them. Using lvm2-s6 is entirely
optional, you can access lvm volumes just fine without it. What lvm2-s6
does is make use of lvmetad to read and cache lvm metadata so you can
use lvm commands without scanning the disks. I've setup the oneshots and
longrun daemons to all fall under the "lvm2" bundle which, on install,
adds itself to the mount-filesystems dependencies file. lvm2-services
are, of course, boot-worthy so you shouldn't have to enable or add
anything special. It should "just work". If you could give it a try and
let me know if there are any issues or not on your setup, that would be
great.