[artix-general] New KDE Plasma / LXQt ISO

Christos Nouskas nous at artixlinux.org
Thu May 23 23:29:24 EEST 2019

On Thu, 23 May 2019 11:55:45 +0200
"P3d3.F. via artix-general" <artix-general at artixlinux.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I continue the test and I confirm the "problems" of the previous mail,
> with the exclusion of the number 3). I think its not a problem of the
> installation, but something related with Dolphin. Adding the connection
> to the Nas in the left bar of Dolphin and editing the correct address
> (for me smb://nas/) all work correctly. I did a test also on other 2 PCs
> (up and running with KDE/Plasma) and the result is the same.
>
> On 5/22/19 4:29 PM, P3d3.F. via artix-general wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I tried this iso, only one test by now, and all is almost fine. After
> > some hours of use I found only 4 points (The first, IMHO critical).
> > Obviously I installed an encrypted disk (btrfs).
> >
> > 1) After the system update mkinitcpio started and there wasn't the
> > "encrypt" in the mkinitcpio.conf hooks list. Without this parameter
> > the system boot but don't open the encrypted disk;
> >
> > 2) in systemsettings Regional Settings --> Spell Check --> is defined
> > the Hebrew language and is not possible to Add other languages. I
> > think its Hebrew, my son know Hebrew... :-)
> >
> > 3) I'm not able to connect to Samba devices on the network with
> > Plasma/Dolphin, while all work perfectly with LXQT/PCMAN; obviously
> > the same smb.conf. After some tests (all the Samba components are
> > installed and running) I discover that writing the address of the smb
> > device in the command bar of Dolphin, for me smb://nas/, all work
> > fine. Don't work the "click and point" connections
> >
> > 4) I'm not able to configure Dolphin to work with a single click of
> > the mouse. All is setted to use a single click but nothing... Dolphin
> > resist. This is really a new behaviour for me: never seen before.
> >
> > That's all by now. I tested all on a Core Due Duo Notebook (DELL
> > Inspiron 9400) and it works like a charms, without problem also with
> > hard activities: to look a H265 Video.
> >
> > I hope to be able, later or tomorrow morning, to do a second test
> > installation on a different PC with UEFI boot.
> >
> > GREAT Work and Compliments!!!

Thanks for your extensive testing and reporting!

The hebrew default in spellchecking is probably a fallback default, set by the respective module developer, when no dictionary is installed in the system (I haven't planted any, perhaps I should put a few). Try installing "hunspell-it" and you should see 'Italiano' in KDE spellchecking.

To set single-click-to-open use qt5ct -> tab "Interface" -> "Activate item on single click". You might need to exit dolphin and relaunch it.

I couldn't make dolphin auto-discover samba shares (MATE guy here). Perhaps someone more versed in Plasma could lend a helping hand.

I'll be updating the ISO configuration soon to fix the crypt setup issue. In the meantime, you should add the 'encrypt' to HOOKS and /crypto-keyfile.bin to FILES in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and (to avoid inputting the passphrase twice) 'cryptkey=rootfs:/crypto_keyfile.bin' to /boot/grub/grub.cfg's linux kernel line, or to /etc/defaults/grub -> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX array and re-run grub-mkconfig.

Again, thanks for your testing and reporting.

--
Christos Nouskas
https://systemd-free.artixlinux.org