[artix-general] New KDE Plasma / LXQt ISO

Fungi4All fungilife at protonmail.com
Mon May 20 08:28:48 EEST 2019

On Sunday, May 19, 2019 11:16 AM, Christos Nouskas via artix-general <artix-general at artixlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
>
> A new community ISO featuring the KDE Plasma and LXQt desktops is available for download and testing. The calamares installer has been updated and seems to correctly install a fully encrypted system (/boot included).
> This release features a uniform dark QT/GTK look, a switch to connman instead of networkmanager, a pacman frontend (octopi), an iptables helper (gufw), multimedia and office apps. By default it boots into LXQt, you have to logout and relogin to Plasma (user: artix - pass: artix).
>
> Known issues: some widgets (like digital clock in plasma), have got hardcoded colours in their settings windows and can't be configured as they are; one has to change the theme to a lighter one first and revert.
>
> Please test and report any errors, omissions or wishes. If no major ones are reported, we'll make a broader announcement at the site. An updated MATE/LXDE image is also approaching.

Congrats, for whatever you do.  Just don't expect any cheering for Gnome/Cinnamon editions :D

1  Some of those complicated desktops seem to want dbus running at the user level to work well.  I never got too familiar with OpenRC to know how to do this but if there is a way I'd like to know.

2  Are those DE setups functional if you switch to Runit?

3  My previous announcement of your community MATE edition seemed to stimulate some interest in sysdfree.wordpress.com and also in the reddit communities.  I hope you don't mind the publicity.  One redditor said he installed Mate and liked it for a daily runner.

rust