[artix-general] Is console autologin possible to start X automatically on Artix?

Fungi4All fungilife at protonmail.com
Sat Jun 1 12:38:38 EEST 2019

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 7:23 AM, Javier via artix-general <artix-general at artixlinux.org> wrote:
> Thak you all. I made my mind I really don't need autologin. It's enough if the init always finishes on VT1, and I can auto-start X there. I have no clue if openRC always start on VT1, but it seems systemd on Arch does, though not sure if because of this available by default on Arch, but I bet there might be a way to ensure that if not.

In general most distributions activate tty1 at least, most have many others.
Ctrl-Alt-F(1,2,3,4,5,6) switches between ttys
For reasons I've never cared to find out (probably Ruben knows, he is the X-man :) X starts (it is directed to) at a different tty than the one starting it.  So you can be at tty4 and type startx (if setup to start this way and not already running) and X will start at tty7, in other systems it may be setup to start on tty3, etc.
I don't know if this is the reason or not, but let's say X freezes up, no keyboard no mouse working or anything. You may still flip back to tty1 and either Ctrl-Z if it is where X was started and diagnose it or kill it all together.  This is where htop is handy instead of a gui-task manager that is frozen.

> Thanks !

We are learning, different pace, different paths, different start points, nobody can possibly know it all.  I encourage you to use the forum more, more people active around the globe there that you can get advise most likely sooner than here on the list.

Fungalnet (sysdfree.wordpress.com)