[artix-general] Howdy kernel panicing here

Fungi4All fungilife at protonmail.com
Wed Oct 4 22:57:21 EEST 2017

> From: vishnugb at gmail.com
> To: artix-general at artixlinux.org
>
>> My first mistake was not knowing how to chroot properly into an Arch based
>> system.
>
> If you use the Artix ISO to live boot, it already has a custom chroot-ing
> command called "artools-chroot", after mounting boot, root, etc. Check out the
> following tutorial:
>
> https://artixlinux.org/forum/index.php?topic=41.0
>

>> The second mistake is having blind faith on Artix repositories and the
>> upgrading procedure.
>
> Are you mixing repos, or something? Nobody else (as far as I know) seems to
> have broken their system (yet) purely by upgrading.
>
> Are you using all testing repos, or some testing and some stable?
>
> Vishnu
> --
> ⚷ OpenPGP fingerprint: 5015 1D4C 9BDF 9062 A9E1 62CB 5B1F4BEE7EED7131

I was away for a couple of days, I came back, booted, upgraded, browsed through
email and then shut it off.  That's all I did.  I always rerun pacman -Su to make sure
there was nothing left to do.  I had done this in the same small period for my other
installations as well, same pkg list came up.  The next day none would boot.
I run system-testing from the first day it was announced, when world and galaxy
were not ready yet.  On that first day I made the mistake and disabled [system]
but I found out that stable and testing must be both enabled.
Now all three are testing (sys-world-galaxy).  Is this wrong?  I haven't seen
detailed instructions on this and never had any arch experience.  In Manjaro
all you had to do was switch a tag stable/testing/unstable.

Anyway, it has happened before where some things would show through
an upgrade and less than an hour later more would appear.  I must have
fallen through the cracks of in between critical updates.

I am sure I did not alter anything else in the system as I had no energy that
day to deal with anything else other than check email, news, the weather.

I installed Artix the first day it was announced it existed in the Manjaro-forum.
I only converted my Manjaro-OpenRC the week they pulled OpenRC and
eudev off their repositories.  There was someone else on the forum who
said they did an upgrade and their system wouldn't reboot a few days
before me.  I can only interpret this as mirrors not syncing as expected.
Maybe for every set of related updates there should be a specific release
that must be complete before any update can take place.  Something like
Debian's release files.