[artix-general] Howdy kernel panicing here

Fungi4All fungilife at protonmail.com
Wed Oct 4 14:23:33 EEST 2017

> From: fungilife at protonmail.com
> To: artix-general at artixlinux.org <artix-general at artixlinux.org>
>
> With my one installation I managed after chroot to it to remove glibc-openrc
> I rebooted into recovery and it seems to have fixed itself.
> I tried the same with my main installation and it is not working.
> I have no network with chroot and unable to run mkinitcpio or grub-update
>
> The error again says:
> /init   error line 28 syntax ...

My first mistake was not knowing how to chroot properly into an Arch based system.
$ cd /media/Artix (or whatever you use to mount the installation root directory)
$ sudo mount -t proc proc proc/
$ sudo mount --rbind /sys sys/
$ sudo mount --rbind /dev dev/
$ sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf etc/resolv.conf
$ sudo chroot /media/Artix

The second mistake is having blind faith on Artix repositories and the upgrading procedure.
There have been times in the recent past where I logged in and run pacman Syyu and less
than an hour later there would be more updates.  It seems as the repositories take a little while
to sync properly.  So all three of my installations were done in a window of getting half upgraded.
After properly chrooting today this was the output:

Packages(11) glib2-2.54.1-1  glib2-docs-2.54.1-1  libpng-1.6.34-2  meson-0.42.1-3  mkinitcpio-24-1.3
              openrc-0.32-1  p11-kit-0.23.9-1  python-gitdb-2.0.3-1  python-gitpython-2.1.7-1
              python2-pillow-4.3.0-1  smplayer-17.10.0-1

It seems as glibc and I remember elogind were upgraded 36-48hrs ago without the above and
the pass of mkinitcpio produced unbootable images.  All I did today through chroot was upgrade
and reboot.

I don't know whether this list has or will have a public archive, I am posting this for future reference
as I did in the forum too.

Peace!